Catering and Personal Chef Services focusing on the use of high quality, organic, and locally produced seasonal ingredients. Offering vegetarian, vegan and gluten free gourmet options. Services ranging from gallery events to private parties.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

You Take the Cake!

I recently made this birthday cake for my beloved. As I've mentioned before, I love to add texture and dimension to my food. So, when I was trying to figure out what kind of cake to WOW him with on his 41st birthday, this is what I came up with.
Chocolate Cake layered with Almond/Orange Meringue and Ganache, frosted with Chocolate Whipped Cream. Now that's quite a title! For ease of reference let's just call this cake SIN.
SIN's rich chocolate cake gets it's depth of flavor by using really good Belgian Dark Chocolate and Coffee. 
The tan colored layer is the Almond Orange Meringue. A mixture of egg whites, toasted almonds, sugar, orange zest, corn starch and vanilla is piped into rounds and baked until crisp. There are two rounds. One is sandwiched in between the cakes and the other is on top, under the whipped cream frosting. The meringues give the cake an added texture (not to mention great flavor).
In between the cake and meringue layers there is a rich chocolate ganache.
The chocolate whipped cream frosting compliments the cake perfectly. Adding another layer that is both decedent and light. I highly recommend "SIN"-ing on any occasion!

1 comment:

  1. I'm weeping, overwhelmed, jealous. What are you doing to us all, Bridgette?! What a great gift. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete